Trail Events & News
Trail Work Opportunities
TBA - please check back often
National Equestrian Trails Conference
July 8 – 10, 2016
Raleigh, North Carolina
By Patty Wisneski
Margie Kraege, Carrie Quatsoe and I (Patty Wisneski) attended the National Equestrian Trails Conference in Raleigh, North Carolina the weekend of July 8-10, 2016.
The conference provided 17 different presentations directed at enhancing the equine trail ex-perience for all trail enthusiasts. There was a wealth of information regarding trail stewardship, the use of public land and the potential loss of these trails, as well as several presentations by Equine Land Conservation Resources.
We also enjoyed presentations by Robert Eversole, The Trailmeister. You can find a link to TrailMeister.com on the WHC website under the “Trails” tab.
Below please find links to PDF documents for many of the presentations and other information handed out at this year’s conference. Please check back often, as more presentations will be added.
- Drone Regulations Overview
- Drones & Horses
- Federal Transportation Funds for Trails 2016
- Federal Land Seizer - Back Country Horsemen of America
- USFS Trails Strategy
- USFS National Forest System Briefing Paper
- Land Conservation the ABC's of Preserving our Land
- New FAA Rules
- IMBA Presentation
- Ride Smart Leave No Trace
- OTC Trail Maintenance 101
- Saw Policy Briefing Paper
- Sustainable Recreation Strategy
- Emergency Communications
- Youth Programs of the National Scenic & Historic Trails Presentation
L to R: Carrie Quatsoe, Patty Wisneski, Margie Kraege, Robert Eversole and Ken Carpenter
On March 15, 2011 a new Department of Justice rule takes effect, allowing "other power-driven mobility devices" on trails. People with disabilities will have every right to expect to be able to use their own vehicle- whether it's an electric scooter, a Segway, or an all-terrain vehicle. Trail managers should assess trails and potential use by various devices and vehicles, and make policies available to the public. Read the requirements of the rule and what options trail managers have... The link is :
- The agenda is on line.
- New Convener may be needed.
- WisDOT will share their study for the GNC and then follow up with a public informational meeting in several weeks.
- The notes from the January GNC meeting are on line.
- The link to the draft WisDOT report is on line and will take you to the report which several very interesting concepts.
- The Trails Subcommittee was updated about two weeks ago with photos of the maps. More map work is expected to be done at the February meeting.
- Future Events for 2010 could potentially be:
- WisDOT Public Information Meeting on US 14 Existing Conditions Study
- Village of Cross Plains rejects draft official map at public meeting
- WisDOT design concepts for Main Street/County P intersection in Cross Plains may commence soon
- Paving of County KP from Cross Plains to Mazomanie may occur in summer 2010
- County concepts for replacing County P bridge over Black Earth Creek under discussion
- Madison Area Metropolitan Planning Organization may include GNC area
- Regional Transportation Authority may authorize funding referendum in fall
- Lake Marion Study and Dam recommendation by UW Madison to be presented to Village of Mazomanie in several weeks