Understanding the Different Membership Levels
It is not uncommon for people to have questions about membership so we have created this resource to clear up some of the confusion.
Level I (1) - Both Individual or Family Memberships Available
- Level 1 membership is for individuals/families only. If you are an individual you will join at Level 1 - Individual. If you are a family of 2 or more adults residing in the same residence, you can join at Level 1 - Family.
- Programs such as Certified Judges, Championship Challenge, and Trail Riding/Driving Awards require Level 1 membership - even if you are a Director or a contact person for a Level 2 or 3 organization, you still need to be a Level 1 member yourself to participate in programs.
- This membership votes at the District level - you may attend District meetings and functions and vote to elect the officers of your District, which issues you feel need to be taken to the Board, or what events the District will hold.
- Youth (17 & under) are free with a parent/guardian paid membership.
- There is also a Lifetime Membership, which is a one-time $250 membership fee with free excess liability insurance for the first year and $20 for each following year if you so choose.
- As part of this membership you will get the WHC newsletter.
Level II (2)
- Level 2 membership is for businesses or organizations who want to be a member of WHC but do not want to send a Director to the Board of Directors.
- Level 2 members vote at the District level in much the same way as Level 1 members - Level 2s may appoint a representative from their organization to attend District meetings and vote on behalf of their organization. This is less responsibility than being a Director on the Board, but still allows the organization to have a voice within WHC.
- The contact person of a Level 2 membership will receive the WHC newsletter.
Level III (3)
- This level of membership is for businesses and organizations that want to send a Director to the Board of Directors.
- Directors are expected to attend Board meetings either in person or by teleconference, and to participate in and vote on the issues affecting WHC. Directors are also expected to attend the Annual Meeting held in March and participate in at least one committee.
- Directors receive a large amount of communications and the preferred mode is email. Please be sure to include email addresses on the application form, if available. Directors without email will still receive the communications via regular US mail.
- Level 3s may also appoint an alternate Director who will vote in the absence of the Director. However, appointing an alternate is not mandatory.
- The contact person, the Director, and the alternate Director (if appointed) will all receive the WHC newsletter.